Saturday, May 20, 2006

On my mind: Immigration

There's a lot in the news these days on immigration. I understand the concerns and anxieties – maybe even the anger and fear - that many people have about the issue. As an ESL teacher, I hear a lot of stories of people who come to this country looking for a better life. Yes, there are those who come here for the sole purpose of earning a buck. But even in those cases, what an opportunity for us as Americans, and most important, as Christians - especially given the crazy things going on these days. Now more than ever, we need to work to counter the anti-American, anti-Christian sentiment put out not just by those who hate us, but by Hollywood and, in some cases, our own media. We may be the lone superpower - for now. But as birthrates continue to decline in the West, why not embrace those who WANT to contribute to this country, who long to become citizens?

For those of us who are native to this country, we have every opportunity in the world. We don’t have to feel threatened by newcomers. Besides, the only people likely to suffer from any influx of migrant workers are the uneducated, uninformed Americans who have failed, for whatever reason, to take advantage of all that this country has to offer – especially in terms of education.

As a woman with cerebral palsy, I grew up being told that I would never amount to anything. I had the whole sad ‘Oprah-worthy’ childhood. Having escaped that, I went on to spend at least some of my undergraduate career without a place to lay my head. But, through God’s grace, good friends, and determination, I was able to work hard, get a degree, a job, and later, a wonderful husband. Now, I’m working on my Master’s. Looks like I'll need a second job to finish, but I'm good with that.

I sometimes ask the students with whom I’ve developed a friendship, what it’s like for people like me in their home countries – a woman with a disability, I mean. You wouldn’t like the answers I get. But the point is that if you’re taking care of business, working hard, and doing your best, you don’t have to worry about who comes here, because America is the best country in the world, and she still has opportunities for all who seek them. So, If people who are here illegally can take the road to citezenship, I say, more power to them.

No comments: