Turning 40 has been way more wonderful than I had anticipated. First, gotta thank my gal pal Val for all her hard work in pulling together a swell party - despite the difficult times she's facing at her job right now. You are amazing - and you & Marvelous are much too generous, as usual.
And though I'm thanking you second, you're still tops in my book. Thanks honey, for just being you, and for making my dreams come true (and the new digital camera ain't bad either!).
You are truly my best friend. I love you.
Rich's rendition of Van Morrison's 'Brown-Eyed Girl’ was a highlight of the party - and yes, everyone sang the "sha la la la" part (well, the Americans, anyway;). Once I figure out how to put the video on this page, you can see it for yourself.
Next, thanks so much to the incredibly talented Shirley Hartman, interior decorator, confectioner extraordinaire, all-around good gal, and – most important – way cool mom of five!
Hey, Carmen, I see you behind those flowers! Thank you and your beautiful granddaughters for helping to keep things running smoothly, and for making my party so relaxing and enjoyable.
Thanks Flo & Harry for all your help, for making the drive, and for the very nice gift! And, thanks for everthing you've given me these last 20+ years - your kindness was foundational during those early tentative steps toward adulthood. I love you.
Tom & Sharon, you get the prize for the most unexpected visit – what a nice surprise!
To everyone at
To my boss Melissa. Thanks for giving me the coolest job in the world, and for always being so supportive and generous. Love, love, love the necklace!
Joyce, Jim, & Nancy: Gotta love Global Gifts! Thanks for the cool bag, tea, and chocolates - you know me so well ;).
Meredith & Mrs. W., thanks for the books, bookmark, and candle - now all I need is the bed!
Thanks, M. Becky for the 1001 Arabian Nights!
Michel, the sentiment you expressed in your card to me was one of the warmest, kindest things I have ever read. It made both me and my sister weep (in a good way, of course ;). You surely overestimate me, but since it was my bithday, I'll take it as the gift that it is.
For all who sent cards and well-wishes, you were with me in spirit, and I appreciate you!
A trip to Target! Thanks go out to my sister-in-law, Shari!
Thanks to the people who attend my English classes. I am far from a perfect teacher, and you all have been wonderful in your brave determination to learn English - in spite of my poor instruction. Your courage to adapt and contribute to this country is nothing short of amazing.
You all have given me so much more than I could ever give you - not just gifts and cards (though those have been lovely), but also a broader perspective on the world we live in, a fresh appreciation for the global community, and of course, the food - wow!
Ayse, how did you know I needed a picture frame?
Thanks PJ & Martha for the cool gift card, and thanks Shin Hee for the Guinness! Hey, H&L, I'll do my best with the lovely violet! Thanks much!
Finally, I cannot give adequate thanks without mentioning my twin sister, Tonya, who could not be with us because of her two little ones back home in
Thank you all. I look forward to this new chapter in my life.













