Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Adoption Option

When you don't have children, people often comment about what that means for you in terms of benefits: more money; more time; less sacrifice.

Yes, that's all true (except for the money sitch, what with R's work history - but we are slowly recovering). I've often thought in those terms myself, and have been thus far contented with being "Auntie".

As I've gotten older, and pehaps because of the advent of the big four oh, I've thought a lot about the benefits of having kids - especially in terms of focus. Sure, getting married (hopefully) forces you outside yourself to some degree, as you learn to think about the needs and wants of your spouse. You know your hitting that milestone when you can forgo the LPP (last piece of pizza). But childless marriages can become something of a mutual admiration society. If you're blessed enough to have that, it's perfectly swell - and I do, most of the time. But I keep having this niggling concern about my growth as a person, a Christian, a contributor to society. In sum, about my ability to be selfless.

Rich and I have been talking about adoption. Of course, it's down the road a piece - after we get our degrees, I mean. But it keeps coming up. On the one hand, I think we could be pretty good parents, but on the other, I hesitate to inflict my flaws on innocent children.

I don't know what the future holds for us on this issue. But, I intend to keep an open mind, and heart, to see where the Lord leads.

2 comments:

Vals said...

Whether you do or you don't, you'll always be my Fairy Godmother, so if you do adopt, you have to let me be Fairy Godmother, even though I'm completely unqualified to be a real Godmother (but don't tell my nephew that). You would be a great Mom - but you can be a great Mom without adopting too - you already have an open heart and have held a lot of people in it. The only difference is that none of them are going to choose your nursing home! ;-o

Sonya said...

Val, be careful what you ask for - you may find some lil' Lakey bunked in the spare room on a Saturday night when you'd rather be off howling at the moon!