Monday, July 17, 2006

Soaking up Eternal Sunshine

Not a big Jim Carrey fan. Something about that hyper-spaz, adolescent, slithering, homoeroticism he exudes in movies like The Mask, and as The Riddler - ew. Even saw it in A Series of Unfortunate Events (love the books - had to see the movie).

Imagine my surprise at finding myself completely drawn in to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I don't even know why we checked it out from the Library. Blame it on the fact that Rich & I have been movie slugs for the last month - though he favors Westerns as a nostalgic touchback to his Father, who passed away late last year.

But, pick it out I did.

"I thought you didn't like Jim Carrey."

"I don't."

"Isn't he in this one?"

"I guess."

"Whydja pick it?"

"Dunno."

And so we let it lapse to the point of being overdue, and I was thinking I'd be returning another flick we'd failed to watch, when Rich just set it up, and I gravitated to the couch like space debris resigned to life in a black hole.

I was amazed.

It was creative.
It was inventive.
It was funny, sad, charming, frightening, and universal.

But most of all, it made me appreciate my husband.

When the movie ended, we just sat there, holding eachother.

As I drifted off to sleep that night, I had two very brief, and intense dreams, where Rich was being taken from me. I remember feeling such profound grief, panic, and protest. But thankfully, unlike Joel, I was able to open my eyes and keep them open - and to remember.


"To love is to remember." - Fr. Alexander Schmemann

No comments: